Valentine’s Day is on a weekday this year and, as much as we might like otherwise, this means that you or your significant other may have some responsibilities to attend to before spending a romantic evening together. Nonetheless, on days like these I’m determined to make the best of it. A great way to let your loved one know how much you care is to send them off to work or school with a beautiful lunch snack pack! Here I’ll show you how to make a gorgeous but easy Valentine’s Bento Box for your significant other. And I’ve even included a Valentine’s love note printable for you to include, as well!
Making the Bento
The bento box is really simple to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lunch bento box. I used this Sistema one from Target (only available in stores) for $5. Or you could order from Amazon.
- For the pinwheels:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary
- 1 cups dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 flour tortillas
- Plastic wrap
- For the other sections:
- 1 large carrot
- Red Grapes
- Chocolate candy of choice
- Deli-sliced ham
- Extra-long toothpicks
- Fresh flowers of choice
The pinwheel recipe is from the Yellow Bliss Road blog, and I thought it was a perfectly easy, pretty, and yummy main dish for the V-Day Bento Box. Essentially what you do is mix all of the ingredients together (besides the tortillas) until one big creamy mess. Then you spread some out on a tortilla, roll it up, and then wrap it in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least an hour. This allows the mixture to harden and makes cutting it neatly easier.
Once it’s been an hour, simply slice up the rolls and add to the bento!
For the heart carrots, simply:
- Peel one large carrot with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut off a side of the carrot with a knife to make a flat top.
- Cut the carrot into little round sections (see first picture).
- Trim the carrot pieces into heart shapes (last two pictures).
- Add to bento!
To make the heart fruit kabobs:
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries in a V-formation. This makes the top of the heart, while the bottom of the strawberry completes it!
- Add strawberries and red grapes to the extra-long toothpicks to make kabobs.
- Add to bento!
To make the flower-shaped ham:
- Place a curly bed of lettuce in the bento box.
- Take a ham slice and fold up from the middle, much like you do with tissue paper when stuffing gift bags.
- Wedge ham in lettuce bed to hold.
Assembling the bento box is easy. If you’ve followed the previous instructions, just add your chocolate candy of choice to complete! Here’s a few other tips, however, to increase the “wow” factor of the bento box.
- Anywhere you need a separator (not already provided by the bento), add lettuce as a “holder” beneath food. For example, I ended up adding some to hold the carrots. This also beefs up the box a little bit and adds color.
- Add fresh flowers to separate food groups and to add extra bulk and prettiness.
- Add a cute note to your box and attach with colored washi tape! You can get the one I used (see photo above) in my Freebies Resource Library (and get access to over 40+ freebies!). Instructions at bottom of post.
Pretty cute, huh? And now your Significant Other will be sure to think of you at lunch/snack time (though let’s be real, they’re already thinking about you anyway. 🙂 ).
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
How to Download V-Day Love Note
I keep all the blog’s freebies in one spot so that they are easy to find and always available. And better yet, the CC Library is open to everyone for free! You just need the password to get in, and you get that by joining the CC community! Just fill out the form below and the password will be sent straight to your inbox.
*If you don’t see an email in a matter of minutes, be sure to check your Spam or Promotions folders, and then move my email out of there!
Got the password already? Click here to enter the freebies library!
Pin this post!